As part of Christina's birthday present to Gav, Christina organised a climbing session with one of Gav's climbing idols Steve McClure. Christina asked me if I wanted to join them for the weekend which I happily tagged along. You're probably thinking when was the first time or last time I climbed with Gav...the answer would be NEVER. So what was I going to do when Gav and Chris went for the climbing session with Steve. Well I spent the day exploring the city and seeing what was on offer in this small town.
Our trip out to Sheffield started off with a 3.5hr coach ride from Victoria bus station. The ride was rather uneventful although it was quite nice to see a bit of the scenery outside of London. We arrived at the Sheffield bus/train station quite late and had to catch a train into the town centre. After a late supper, we settled in for a relatively early night since Gav and Chris both had a big day of climbing ahead of them.
What I found about Sheffield ppl is that they were super friendly. Even early in the morning when we went out to get some breakfast all the shopkeepers were helpful when we needed to find things and the town folk were helpful when I needed directions too.
I hit up an art gallery and museum that day where the museum had examples of what was Sheffield primary industry back in the day which was steel. Unfortunately there was a no photograph policy in the museum and art gallery so I can't show you the fine examples of craftmanship that occured. Nowadays Sheffield is an education hub, from what I saw there seemed to be a multicultural feel with students from all nationalities walking around the city.
One thing that Sheffield has that Perth doesn't have is that they have the Sheffield Eye (i.e. ferris wheel) But sadly it seems not many ppl actually go on the ferris wheel. Besides just walking around the town I did a bit of shopping and bought a long sleeve and some boardies which were on sale.
In the evening, I met back up with Gav and Chris after their climbing session to have dinner at a nice Italian restaurant. The meal hit the spot and the service was really good too. The next day I walked around town with Gav and Chris showing them some of town since they were out climbing the day before.
By mid afternoon it was time to head back to London by train and in FIRST CLASS...hahaha. The train was quite a lot of fun since we got a booth seat with a table so we ended up playing Big 2 all the way back to London. I'll add that I went on a 5 game winning streak and would say much to Gav's disagreement that I dominated those games!!!!
All in all it was a great weekend away to see another bit of the UK.
No comments:
Post a Comment